Friday, June 20, 2008

A Squirrel Angel or Two

I had a squirrel angel once. Some years ago, three close family members died within three months. Two years later, two family members died following an explosion, I had a major illness, and a niece died. I can't really recall when this angel appeared, I think after the first bad year. Anyway, I worked at a doctor's office as a transcriber. My office had a window looking out onto the rooftop of our building. One day I was as far down in the dumps as I could go and still function. My care bucket was empty. I almost couldn't climb the stairs that day. But a little squirrel suddenly appeared on that roof, standing with his arms folded in front of him, looking at me through the window. I just knew it was sent by God. The little guy lifted my spirits so quickly, it was almost unbelievable. Then others came. I looked forward every day to seeing my squirrel angels. It sounds dumb to say this, but I think they saved me from a deep depression. I fed them every day and they entertained me.

The roof had to be replaced and they used a metal roofing. The squirrels couldn't access my window anymore, but I had come past the worst time and my care bucket had refilled.

I still get a little teary when I think about how precious those squirrels were to me.

8 comments:

Robin said...

How sweet - God even uses the critters :) to love His children :)

Julie said...

I like your new picture, wink wink nudge nudge.

Ruthie said...

That's a great story. I know God can use animals in special ways to help us.
Blessings.

Deb said...

Hi Mom, what a great story, it's amazing how the Lord will show Himself to us just when we really need Him, and in a way that we have to know that it's Him. I Love the Lord. Deb

Paula said...

God deals with us very personally in big and small ways. He has His eye on the sparrow, the squirrels and you.

Melanie said...

God is so good...thanks for sharing. I was blessed!

About Nancy said...

Your squirrel angels are not silly at all. Before we got our dog (who is a dog angel to me) I placed peanuts in a bowl just outside our sliding door each morning. To get a peanut they had to come close, which gave me a close look of each of them.

My wonderment of each squirrel invariably made me think this is how God views us. He does whatever it takes to lure us close to Him so He can enjoy our company. In a "nutshell" I think His Word and nature are peanuts. Hopefully as we read His Word and marvel at His creation, we will eventually look up and see Him!

I am so glad your made it through your crisis.
In Him,
Nancy

Jen said...

I think of you and your story every time I see a squirrel now.