Friday, June 27, 2008

Cop-Out or Not?

I stopped one of my volunteer jobs today, at least for July. I didn't want to exactly because I always feel so guilty and selfish. This particular job was going to an Alzheimer's unit and spending an hour with the residents. Originally I went to play music and toss a ball with them. Some of them got past that and are unable to do that anymore. So I started doing more 1:1 things with them. Walking, visiting, looking at magazines, etc. Some of them are very aware whether an activity is childlike and patronizing. For the past several months I have felt frustrated every time I walked out. I couldn't actually put my finger on what was wrong, but knew I felt no pleasure or assurance that I was doing what I should have been doing. The staff seemed mostly indifferent to me, sometimes moving the residents into another room just before I got there, instead of leaving them together in the dining room. They played "relaxing music" all day long so music was not a treat for them. They didn't seem to want me to stimulate the residents because they might get out of hand. Sometimes they would turn my music down or turn it off. Well, I am quite experienced at working with dementia victims and I know how to stimulate them and then bring them back to a state of relaxation. Sometimes staff conversations went on while I was trying to read a story or do an activity with the residents, disregarding my attempts to give the staff a little bit of a break. I think I mainly felt I was intruding and disrupting their routines. I will still visit but not at an appointed time as before. Perhaps I can reconcile myself to a better plan. Boy, is this a wa wa thing or not? Just pretend I'm crying on your shoulder, my friends.

7 comments:

Kay Day said...

Sounds like you did the right thing. Everything has its season, as the Bible and the Birds say.

Don't feel guilty about it, just move on the the next thing.

Julie said...

The staff is just very un-educated it seems. I could see not wanting to have the patients getting worked up, but then someone should have interviewed you to made sure you knew what you are doing before they let you in. They need to get more professional on their end. You know what your doing, and the home should trust you to do it right...or not let you do it to start with. Does that make sence?

Robin said...

I'm sure God will provide a new opportunity to use your willing, caring spirit to minister somewhere else. Where ever it is they will be blessed to have you!

Paula said...

I think perhaps the staff was wanting you out of there. They knew better than to treat someone the way they treated you. That's very sad that they couldn't see the benefit of having you with your experience and willingness to do all that you did. You will and do have other ways to use your skills and abilities.

Momstheword said...

The activities staff knows me, it is just the unit staff, CNAs, nurses, etc. But now that I think about it, for years it has been a battle between nursing and activities in nursing homes. Generally speaking anyway. My thinking is that if a resident is at an activity for an hour, the nursing staff can do something else. Thanks for all the comments.

Jan Parrish said...

You might want to check into getting licensed and working as a companion one on one. Sounds like you have a good instinct with them.

I agree that the staff is not really up to par. What about quality of life?

About Nancy said...

Your love for these people touches my heart deeply. I will pray for you and your decision whether to continue or not, and if so how much to visit. I can't imagine why the Lord would not want you there, but I've seen Him do some puzzling things. Perhaps you need a break or are needed elsewhere.

May His leading be clear to you whatever you do.
In Him,
Nancy