Wednesday, June 11, 2008

God's Timing

Several years ago, a co-worker asked me to go visit her mother-in-law at a nearby nursing home. She told me that Mom hadn't been very responsive for about three weeks and didn't recognize the family. Mind you, she was afraid that Mom would die without the Lord. Well, okay, I said. Please note that she didn't ask her pastor to do it. We prayed about it all day and we stopped by on the way home. We went to the room and I looked inside. Mrs. G. was lying on her bed. I knocked and said, "Mrs. G.?" This woman who had been unresponsive for weeks looked up at me and said, "Yes?" I asked her if I could come in and visit with her. She agreed and sat up on the edge of the bed. I introduced myself and told her that I worked with her daughter-in-law. I told her that S. wanted me to talk to her about Jesus and was that okay. She agreed. Then I did something I usually don't do right off the bat. I asked her, "Mrs. G, if you died today would you go to heaven?" Her answer, "No." I proceeded to ask if I could show her what the Bible said about the way to heaven and she agreed. I asked her if she believed the Bible was God's word, and she said yes. I asked her she believed Jesus Christ had died for her sins and she said yes. I showed her Scriptures and she said she understood and she prayed. Meanwhile S. is standing in the doorway with tears clear to her knees. S. came into the room and we chatted a bit.

Now, let me explain this a little better. I did nothing more than the usuall approach. God certainly cleared her mind that day. She, for that short time, was totally lucid and knew exactly what she was doing. That was one of the most astounding evidences of how God works on the heart of someone He knows will get saved, regardless of the circumstances. I am so thankful that God allowed me to be a part of that. I have some more similar stories concerning mentally ill people, Alzheimers, developmentally disabled people, where God cleared the minds so they could understand.

Mrs. G. died three weeks later.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I want you to blog about your sisters trip to visit your cousins that few weeks before she died. And when she went to visit Grandma Olga too. That was way beyond amazing to me.

Ruthie said...

Oh what a wonderful story of the Lord opening doors and clearing the mind when it was needed!
Thanks for sharing that.
Hugs.

Deb said...

Thank You Jesus! Bless His Holy Name! He Is Worthy To Be Praised!

Melanie said...

Wonderful story!! Praise the Lord!

Robin said...

Wow! What a beautiful story of your obedience and God's love!

I like your new header picture too.

Deb said...

When you commented that the person who mows, mows. It brings to my memory that my husband used to always just get out there and cut, cut, cut, and would always cut my flowers as if he thought they were weeds. My daughter still teases me about it from time to time because I cried. Deb

Paula said...

What a blessing to the woman, the family and you. Thanks for sharing God's working in lives.