Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sometimes a good thing

The comment on Monday through Sunday by sd sue struck a cord. After I commented on that blog, I decided to elaborate on it. People are fearful of nursing homes. Our older generation remembers what nursing homes used to be, a place where you go to die. Like Sue's relative, some people go from wretched conditions to a happy home. In one nursing home a lady was admitted who was literally covered with bed sores. Her disabled husband was trying to take care of her but he needed help himself. Another elderly couple took care of each other but finally had to come to a nursing home, I believe after a welfare check made by social services. They were ambulatory but both somewhat confused and they were really hungry! Her hair probably hadn't even been combed for months, let alone washed. She had it up on top of her hair in a large bun. It took the hairdresser a couple of hours to work that matted hair far enough from the scalp to make room for scissors. She cut it and was able to perm it. That couple did extremely well. They were getting their medications regularly and properly, they were kept clean, had clean clothes, ate regular meals, and had plenty of socialization. They didn't seem as confused either on this regular schedule. So sometimes going into a care facility should not necessarily be the last resort, but one of the first considerations.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I like your post. I think people are afraid to trust someone else to care for them also. J said she would take care of us, after saying something about how she would take care of us, so we wouldn't have to go to a home, I said I wanted to go to the home!

Paula said...

Great examples of good nursing home care. I believe many of us will someday be in nursing homes. I try off and on to mentally prepare myself for it. I think with a good attitude,being in a nursing home could be very interesting. QOTW