Saturday, March 1, 2008

Lift 'em up :>) uu

Reminiscing about working at the state hospital, I thought of an extraordinary woman who worked there. She was a social worker, a tall, lanky single lady from Chicago. She was way ahead of her time, believe me. Remember that this was in the very early 1960s. The women on the wards wore clothing from the clothing bank. Granted, clothing was purchased for them but no one really had "personal clothing". Any personal clothing usually never returned from the laundry. The women did not have bras to wear and many were having pain in their shoulders and neck because of it. Miss C. insisted that the facility provide bras and they did. After the women got the bras, they changed in a remarkable way. They began asking for perms, haircuts, makeup, etc. They held their heads up and even strutted a little. What an amazing thing that was! What a boost to self-esteem! Another story relates to a nursing home which had a male ward and a female ward. The day they admitted the first man onto the previously all female ward, all the ladies, that were able, got their hair fixed, put on makeup, and put on their finest. They were waiting for that man when he got off the elevator!

5 comments:

Julie said...

Thats funny! I know I tend to take a little extra care when I know I'm going to be around other women.

Julie said...

I think its only when the other women are pretty I don't want to be looking yukky, men,well if I was at an all women place I would want to look pretty if a man came to visit.

Kay Day said...

"a boost to their esteem" He he

Paula said...

I work at a Sheriff's Office, and I notice that often when a man is in our department just to visit, the ladies flirt and laugh more. As you may guess, some men are a bit afraid of the women in our department.

Your blogs remind me of Aunt Aida. I never did understand why she was put into that facility.QOTW

Robin said...

How sweet!