Thursday, January 29, 2009

Very Disturbing

At one of the care centers I visit, there was an old man who had been there a few weeks. He was always very rude to me. He told me he was a Russian Orthodox Catholic and that he wanted nothing to do with a Baptist. The story was that he had been living in a monastery but required much more physical care so he was taken to a nursing home. This man also was mentally ill. A week or so ago, on a Tuesday, he told me, "I just want you to die." Apparently I didn't react the way he expected. I said, "Oh, thank you! I'll just go to Heaven." His reply was "huh?" The next Sunday we were there for afternoon church service and he was in his bed with oxygen, apparently not recognizing anyone. For obvious reasons, I did not disturb him. When I went back on the next Tuesday, I learned that he had died. It disturbed me very much but I know there was no way I could have talked to him about the Lord. My only hope is that someone he respected reached out to him.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Moms, maybe your very words that you would go to heaven sparked something in him and he spoke to someone about it. You certainly had the perfect answer to him.

Ruthie said...

You never know what your words could have meant to him.
Blessings.

Paula said...

People make their choices. It is difficult for a Christian to see a person in need of the Savior and then see them make a wrong choice. We are not in charge of that.

Robin said...

I second Queen.

MOMSWEB said...

God is still working on my father's heart to accept Jesus. Thanks for sharing this post. It reminds me of the sense of urgency to share the gospel with non-believers.