Monday, January 26, 2009

What Determines a Good Mother?

I'm not sure I was a good mother when my girls were growing up. For the first several years I had problems with an almost constant feeling of irritability and impatience. I yelled at my girls even when they probably weren't doing anything bad. I hated the way I felt. When the girls were about 8 and 10 (I think) I discovered B Complex, thanks to my sister. It contains all of the B vitamins, which nourish the nervous system. After about a week, I was a different person. Before that, I was irritable and mean all the time. I have wondered much about this rapid change but, after studying a few things, I decided that my body just didn't seem to absorb the B vitamins from the food I ate. I most certainly had a deficiency. Also, although this may have nothing to do with it, I had a reaction to the "saddle block" anesthesia I was given when my first child was born. My neck became extremely painful and stiff. I had a terrible headache and had to lie on my back for a couple of days in the hospital. My back hurt from the labor (I guess) and it hurt to lie on my back. I was on muscle relaxants for a couple of weeks and nursing my baby at the same time. Who knows what effect any of this had on my nervous system, or on the baby.

I still take B Complex (which contains numerous forms of vitamins) every day. I can tell within a few hours if I forgot to take it. I get irritable and grumpy. I have made my girls promise to make sure I get my daily B Complex if I have to be in a nursing home.

Other reasons I wonder if I was a good mother: I was never the hugger, smoochy, on my lap kind of mother and I regret that. I don't remember my Mom doing that but I never once thought she didn't love me. I never let my kids have what they whined or cried for. I didn't praise them for every little thing they did right. My girls were part of the family, not the center of it. I didn't do a good job of teaching them to be homemakers (hard when you're not good at it yourself). But I did encourage them to draw, read, write, and use their imagination, to look down when walking across the prairie, to see the bugs, flowers, and weeds.

One of my favorite quotes is when someone asked the elder President Bush (after he had been the head of the CIA, vice president, and president): What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment? He answered: "My children still come to visit me." That is my greatest accomplishment. My children still call me and visit me and show me respect I'm very proud of my daughters.

7 comments:

Kay Day said...

I think if kids look back on childhood with nostalgia and a kind of longing to go back... they must have had a good mother.
I often wish I could go back to the easy days of childhood.
You are a good mother. And I do appreciate the fact that grass can be purple and cows can be green. Not every kids gets that.

Paula said...

I had a good mother. I tried to be a good mother, but as I look back I wish I had done some things differently. I guess I wanted perfection.

Momstheword said...

Thanks Ladies. I guess if your family thinks you're okay, then you're probably okay. :)

tonya said...

Great post. I think most of us moms hope, that our kids will remember the good times rather than the hard times. Yet, sometimes that is when people grow the closest.

It is great that your girls come around to see you. I hope my kiddos will do the same when they are adults! Motherhood isn't for the weak at heart. :)

Robin said...

Neat post Moms...

I want to be a good mother and think I mess up too. My husband is concerned with a neat house (even though he messes it up a bunch) and I sometimes get wrapped up in that... but I do love to snuggle my children and I tell them how much I love them all the time. I tell them that if God lined up all the children in the world that I would have picked them.

Also after my last baby was born two months ago - I decided that for some reason each time I leave the maternity ward, I take the most amazing baby home with me :) as I'm sure all mothers would say.

Momstheword said...

Aw Robin! You're so sweet.

Robin said...

Moms I just realized that I didn't say everything I meant to since I got wrapped up talking about my kids... tsk tsk...

Your girls turned about pretty incredible, so you must be a good mom.