Monday, February 2, 2009

Writers and Wordsmiths, Analyze This Please

This is an excerpt from an article in CAPITOL NOTES by Charles Ashby, Pueblo Chieftain's Denver Bureau chief. Credit given:

Read this sentence (paragraph) and tell me what strikes you. This isn't about the contents of the bill itself but the contents of the paragraph.

"Two Denver-area Democrats have introduced a bill that would require the owners of cats that are 4 months or older to be tagged with some form of identification, either in the form of a tag on its collar or a microchip in its head."

8 comments:

Kay Day said...

I would have said "that are at least four months old," in place of "that are four months or older."

Momstheword said...

ok keep looking

Kay Day said...

I guess you think it's weird that they are singling out cat owners to be chipped? Why not chip all pet owners?

Momstheword said...

nope, that's not it. Unless you mean the part about the owners being chipped instead of the animals. :)

Julie said...

I read that the owners-who are 4 months etc. Thats how I followed it. I thought, that would be terrible to tag a little baby! :) Oh, and hi.

Paula said...

It refers to "cats" in the plural at the beginning of the paragraph and then at the end it refers to the cats by the pronoun "its." They don't match.

Momstheword said...

good one Queen.

Robin said...

I thought it was funny because I read it as Kay mentioned in her second comment.