Monday, January 19, 2009

I Was So Naive!

Listening to all the talk about swearing in our first black president tomorrow, I began thinking about my only black childhood friend. I was raised in a small town in Colorado where there were Caucasians, Hispanics and a few Japanese families. There was one boy whose mother was Hispanic and his father was black. In junior high, we would occasionally have school dances in the gym. I would get pretty shy when a boy asked me to dance. My brother-in-law asked me who I danced with. When I told him I danced with S.W., along with other boys, he teased me mercilessly. After graduation from high school I moved to a larger city where there was a black population. That was in the late '50s so many rights were not available to all. Then, and only then, did it dawn on me.... that my b-i-l was teasing me about S.W. because he was BLACK. I had always thought he was teasing me about him because he was a BOY! Even to this day, it is hard for me to fathom the reality that blacks were not allowed to vote during those days. Here in Colorado discrimination didn't seem to be so intense as in some places,(this coming from someone incredibly naive about such things at the time). In the 60's a group came in to encourage the blacks in one of our cities to protest at various businesses. They were told, by the local black leaders, to leave. The locals could work anywhere they wished, at all the major places of employment, etc. I am glad we have reached this point in history although I would prefer a more conservative person.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Sorry I didn't read your post... just asking for urgent prayer for my brother - I will read it later...

My brother, Robert is very congested and saw a doctor earlier (officially yesterday afternoon). The doctor wasn’t concerned so much about his sore throat, but most concerned about his heart rate it was almost 200 while he was just sitting in the office. The doctor told him he needed to admit to the hospital ASAP, but he said no because he doesn’t have health insurance - so he left the office with RX for antibiotics. He called me about 2:00 am asking what to do because his heart felt like it’s beating out of his chest - I told him he needs to follow his doctor’s advice and get to the hospital. I asked him if he needed me to call an ambulance and he said NO… he’s on his way to a hospital in TX, but I don’t know which one… Please pray!

Paula said...

I wasn't really aware of prejudice when I was growing up. There was an orphanage for black children about six blocks from our house. I went to school with one of the girls. She was a friend.

We had many Hispanics in our town--about 50%. I never noticed any problem concerning race. I had many friends in high school who were from both races.

When my kids were little we lived in a neighborhood where there was a black family and a Hispanic family across the street and another Hispanic next door. I loved for my kids to be in that neighborhood.

When we moved to Georgia when Jen was in kindergarten, there was still some major discrimination going on there. I didn't like that at all. We moved after only a year, and that was a good thing as far as discrimination was concerned.

And I have wished for many years for a black baby. I don't think I will get my wish.

Julie said...

this has nothing to do with your post, but just wanted to tell you that after 2 weeks I am finally feeling better.