Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Eternal Life

The next time someone shows you Matt. 7:23 and claims that you can lose your salvation, just turn to John 10:25-30. Ask him in which scripture is Jesus lying? The one where he says "I know my sheep", or where he says, "...I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity"? So, as I see it, He couldn't "know" you at one time and then say, "I never knew you". So tell me, which time was He lying?

In John 10 he is responding to a question from some Jews. In Matthew 7 he is speaking to mulitudes, people from all around, not just his disciples.

7 comments:

Deb said...

Amen! My Pastor teaches that you can never lose your salvation, but we all will be held accountable for our sins, saved or not. Deb

Paula said...

Scripture has to be read in light of all other Scripture and in context. We could read the verse talking about Judas: He went out and hanged himself. Should we do that also?

Paula said...

Scripture has to be read in light of all other Scripture and in context. We could read the verse talking about Judas: He went out and hanged himself. Should we do that also?

Julie said...

People all the time justify what they want by picking out single verses from the Bible. Some people can even say-by scripture- that their is a heaven, but not a Hell. We do have to take it all in...consider who it is talking to, and the time in history. Is is a promise to the Jews only? Or is it a promise to all believers in Christ? Does it have to do with food purity -Old Testament-, New Testament clearly dismisses some of those laws. Much reading and prayer and less guessing and hurry is needed when reading the Bible.
Stepping off my soapbox now.

Momstheword said...

Great comments! Julie, where did you come from? Very profound thinking. Thanks. Deb, thanks, glad you have a good pastor. Queen, you're right. Are we supposed to build an ark?

Robin said...

There is a lot of Scripture that we tend to pick and choose what works for us...

~michelle pendergrass said...

I wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog (and yeah--the potato eating thing, I should have listed that!!)

Interesting that I come to this post, I've actually been writing a Bible study on John 10:27. :)