Monday, July 7, 2008

I Don't Get It!

Just what does "Rest in peace" mean? People say it at gravesides all the time. Doesn't it imply that we believe that person is somewhere and we want him to be at peace? Somehow I came across an atheist's blog. He had a link to a Tribute to George Carlin. You know him, he was that atheists' hero stand-up comic. This article commended Carlin for "softening us up to accepting that religion is completely man-made and man-driven, from start to finish. The gods are fair game; it's okay to doubt them, to joke about them, and to use their holy books as a means to even out wobbly tables or for toilet paper!"

THEN, at the end he writes "Rest in Peace, George." I thought these people (they call themselves '"freethinkers") don't believe in any afterlife, so why does he wish him peace? Isn't he suppose to assume that Carlin is just a chunk of flesh lying in the ground? This is the most absurd comment I've ever heard, considering its source. What do you think? If you want to read it all, it's at debunkingchristianity dot blogspot dot com

7 comments:

About Nancy said...

You are right on target with this. The day Mr. Carlen died I wondered how he felt about God as he met Him face to face. I shutter to think what George is feeling now. Most likely not peace and rest.
Wonderful post,
Nancy

Paula said...

When people are blind, they don't usually know it. They think their darkness is normal and that everyone should be in the same darkness they are. The Bible says men love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil.

It's too bad Carlin had to go into the dark night with no peace, and it's too bad so many follow and agree with him.

Robin said...

I think when people say "Rest in Peace" they are saying it for their own comfort - maybe thinking of the time when they too will meet the end of their time on earth.

Julie said...

Or that they are afraid of a spirit haunting them. ?

Deb said...

Hi Mom, Rest in peace? I guess Rest In Peace means to me just as it states. I often kid around that death would be rest for me, and I do feel that way, because it means for a Christain no more toil and stress which is rest, safe with the Lord which is peace. Now as for the atheists I guess they would like to rest in peace too, but if not with the Lord, Who do you think? No rest or peace there.

Ruthie said...

Interesting post. I hadn't thought of it before. I guess that's something they all just say without realizing the meaning.

Jen said...

Well, that is irritating!