Monday, August 27, 2007

'Tis over

This morning I saw Spot asleep by the trash can on the patio. I took out a piece of turkey to see if she would eat it. She let me drop it in front of her but she didn't seem interested. I had backed off some like usual so as to not spook her. She got up, walked over to me, and rubbed on my legs. Never before has she deliberately approached me and rubbed against me. The few times in the past week or so she had rubbed against my legs, she was anticipating being fed. This time I picked her up and held her and she didn't even struggle. I petted her and placed her in the carrier. She didn't fight at all. She complained a couple of times in her low manly voice but that was all. My hubby drove us to the humane society. I got her out of the carrier and held her and petted her for several minutes and then the vet just gave her a shot in her tummy. I held her for several more minutes and then lay her down. The vet checked her and that was it. I wrapped her in a towel and carried her home and buried her in the backyard.

I've seen vets shave the leg and place a needle in a vein, all while having to hold the animal down. This was so much better and easier for both of us. I appreciate the opportunity to get to love on her like with most cats. She didn't seem terrified at all. A few weeks ago she would have not come near me at all. Why after 19 years did she become friendly and unafraid? I think the time was perfect. I'm sad but relieved.

2 comments:

Kay Day said...

she was telling you thank you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. What a peaceful way to go, though.