Monday, August 27, 2007

Discarded people

I watched a "Masters of Science Fiction" show Friday evening. It was futuristic in that the freaks and abnormal humans were placed on a space ship sort of environment, in outer space. They had been relegated there by the authorities on earth as misfits. Granted, some of the characters had extreme problems. One had an extra head extruding from his shoulder, one had a huge 10x normal left arm, etc. They were the unfit, unloved, and untouchable in normal society. They were visited by a ship from earth and were given the opportunity of getting to go back to earth (they had been there for 27 years). The "disease" had spread on earth and the scientists had discovered that a serum made from the blood of these misfits would stop the spread. In return they would be returned to earth and would be accepted by society. The leader refused, saying that it was a lie. He was killed and the others agreed to do it. They gave blood and then waited until the ship came back for them. The ship came back but, instead of taking them to earth, it brought another load of discarded people.

This show disturbed me greatly. Don't we see this in our society, even today with all our enlightenment, our disabilities acts, our equal opportunity, etc.? Sunday afternoon, during our church services at a local mental health care center, I watched each and every face there (again). I thought...these are still discarded people. Of course, none of them have the abnormalities that the ones on the show had, but they're not "normal". Well, guess what? They're better friends to me than many of the people in my church, my community, etc. They love me and are always so glad to see me, and so thankful that I've come. It makes me feel so good to visit there, that I feel selfish. Am I doing it for them, or am I doing it because it is such a blessing to me?

One particular man stood and listened to the service. He usually never stays still long enough for anything, but he really listened. I looked closely at his face for the first time. He usually is walking in and out and on the go, talking loudly and disrupting things. He has light blue eyes and a rather handsome face. I could see something in his eyes I had never noticed before. I believe he has probably been mentally ill all his life. Did he have family that loved him at one time? Does he now? What does he think about God? Does he know he is considered insane? Does he care? Is he capable of making a decision for the Lord? Would he even be able to listen long enough? I have seen God clear the minds of people long enough for them to understand and get saved. Pray for Robert, please.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hi - you don't know me, but I found your daughter's blog a while back and enjoy it immensely. She has a great sense of humor and heart full of kindness and now I know why - well at least one reason why because she has a terrific mom. Just reading a couple of your blogs shows me you have a beautiful heart. I used to work in mental health before I had my children and you are a special person to do what you do! Keep loving them like Jesus!

Momstheword said...

Thanks, Robin. I feel God has given me a gift and a heart for the "forgotten", "untouchable", and "unloveable" people. He sees them though the same eyes he sees us. He doesn't use any filter when He looks at us.