Thursday, April 3, 2008

SPAM AND BOLOGNA DAY

This past Tuesday my church's nursing home ministry provided a lunch at the church for the members of my Bible study group, which I do weekly at their center. These people are mostly in their 40s, 50s, 60s and are mostly diagnosed with schizophrenia. I love them tremendously and thank God that he gave me this ministry.
The activities people brought 17 people and we had several of our folks there to help. We served them bologna and Spam sandwiches. Horrors, you say! Well, let me explain, We've been doing this at least three times a year for about 10 years. We have served hotdogs and hamburgers, Mexican food, hotdogs and chili, and various forms of these things. This time when we were discussing it at the center, I said, "Well, it will be on April Fools' Day and I can serve you bologna sandwiches if I want to!" "Yeah! That would be good." "How about Spam?" on and on. So I talked to the administrator and she said that would great because they love Spam sandwiches but it is expensive to serve in such large quantities. So we did it. And guess what? They loved it! We had fried or not fried bologna, fried or not fried Spam, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, baked beans, corn on the cob, pop, chips, apple crisp, spice cake and ice cream. You know you have to have that squishy white or wheat bread to make it right. A guy played the piano, another guy played his guitar and had a little sing-a-long with them. One of the residents used to be a pastor and he also plays the piano. He played and sang and it was so sweet and touching. He hopes that his wife will bring him there to church, but I don't know if that is possible or not. I don't know their circumstances or why they are there. I just want to treat them the way they want to be treated, and they just want to be treated like any normal person.

5 comments:

Paula said...

That was a wonderful thing. People just want to be people. You did a really good job. P

Robin said...

Sounds like you had a great time! What a servant's heart you have!

Julie said...

I like spam...sometimes

Ruthie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am really enjoying blogging - and, as you can see, have only been blogging a few days. I'm glad you contacted me - looks like we have a lot in common. I'll come back and visit your site again.
God bless. Ruthie

Melanie said...

Sounds like everyone had a wonderful time! Awesome! I do not think I have ever had SPAM.