Wednesday, April 9, 2008

SPAM

This isn't what I had planned for my next blog, but... I found a book at the library titled "Discovering America's Past" (Reader's Digest) and found a story about Spam. "Meat packer George Hormel had several thousand pounds of leftover pork shoulder, so that was transformed into a unique product, a canned, minced pork and ham loaf that required no refrigeration.". That was in 1937. Tens of millions of pounds of SPAM was shipped abroad during WWII to the
GIs. Many of the GIs remember it as the "ham that didn't pass its physical". This information is directly from the above mentioned book. Mr. Hormel offered a $100 prize for a catchy name, and the winning entry, SPAM. won. So now we know!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kay Day said...

speaking of spam -- that's what you got up there!

I knew they used it in WWII a lot. Also, it is very prolific in Hawaiian cuisine.

Ruthie said...

And that Spam meat was delicious.

Robin said...

When I saw the title I thought you were going to lament about the spam you have been getting in your blog or email :)

The only kind of SPAM I can tolerate is the turkey kind if its fried or grilled and of course I have to add more saturated fat to it by melting cheese on it too. Don't forget the brown mustard on whole wheat of course - something has to be good for me in the mix :) I eat it infrequently at least.

Jen said...

I basically lived on Spam for about 2 years...I can't even stand to look at the stuff now.

Melanie said...

So now we know!

Deb said...

I hate Spam. Deb