Saturday, April 5, 2008

An example of voice tone offense

Some years ago we had a lovely family in our church. They had four beautiful blond daughters. This was during a very stressful time in our lives, some family members had been burned and eventually died. One morning at church, before the service started, V. said something to me and I answered her. At the evening service she came up to me and asked if she had done something to offend me. I said, "No, of course not! Why do you ask?" Well, she gently explained that I had been gruff with her that morning. I was devastated that I had hurt her feelings and apologized profusely. We hugged and everything was okay. I think that was the perfect example of going to the one who offended you and clearing it up, instead of pouting and being hurt by it and holding a grudge, etc. I am so thankful she came to me. I used a tone of voice that had nothing to do with the immediate situation or with her.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'm leaving a comment thats not about this post, but good post. Okay, I'm gonna think realy hard and remember a good story about you now. Hmmm, I just have so many to choose from... :)

Robin said...

Great example! Thanks for sharing! Something we all need to consider when someone offends us. So neat that your friend immediatly confronted the situation instead of letting it grow in her heart.

Ruthie said...

Good blogs about how we sound to others. I'm sure we've all said things that sounded different to our listeners. Good reminder. I'm enjoying the blogs your daughters are writing, too.
Smiles. Ruthie