Saturday, May 17, 2008

Some of my Youthful Memories

1. I smoked about 8 of my Dad's cigarettes when I was about 10, I think. I couldn't understand why my mother didn't feel sorry for me when I got so sick. After all, I rinsed my mouth out to take away the smell! By the way, I don't smoke.

2. I supervised the birthing of some kittens. I was Roy Rogers and I watched the cats and announced when a new one came, calling out the color to anyone who was interested.

3. My mom "let" me carry a dead bullsnake down to the canal to dump it after she found it full of eggs from the cellar and killed it. I carried it on the end of a long sturdy stick.

4. A mouse ran up my sister's pant leg and I almost died of laughter. She didn't.

5. I gave a sick baby kitten a bath and it died.

6. I was still riding stick horses when I was 12.

7. I didn't like my nephew's Boston bull terrier but when a kid passing by threw a rock at him and hit him in the eye (he barked at the kids), I chased them about 3 blocks while waving a stick at them.

8. I was looking for my mother's drain hose for her washing machine and found it on the porch. However, when I started to pick it up, it revealed itself to be a big bullsnake (a different one.) I think I screamed.

9. I loved sleeping at my sister-in-law's house because the sheets smelled so good and she made a cherry cake.

10. I didn't know what chiggers were until a cousin told me how soft their Oklahoma grass was to roll on.




10 comments:

Julie said...

Made me laugh, made me cry, made me smile. I give it two thumbs up!

Paula said...

It's good to know about your life. I wish I knew more about my dad's and mom's lives. I think they told things, but I wasn't good to ask questions. Now I would be.

Momstheword said...

QOTW, I try to get as much info from my sister D. when I can, because she remembers things I was too young to even be involved with. On one situation, my two sisters and myself had three different answers. :) Thanks Julie. With the kitten thing, I stood outside in the sun for a long time trying to make it well. D. says it was already sick.

Robin said...

Neat post! It's fun to learn about you. The snake stories - augh I would have suffered huge consequences - I may have learned to fly or at least leaped as high as the roof and everyone around me would have needed to repair the damage to their eardrums.

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

Fun post ~ I really hate chiggers. ew! Itchy..ow..yuck!

Jen said...

Mouse up the pant leg? Mice don't really scare me but that would be a nightmare come true. The chiggers, that was really funny. Been there, done that.

Kay Day said...

never had chiggers. I just won't roll in the grass if I'm ever in OK.

Like the stories. I think I knew them already though. Tell me some new ones.

Momstheword said...

Sure, Kay. I'll tell you some more. Like the time you ate a dried up cricket. Crunch crunch!

Ruthie said...

What fun stories. You must have been a great kid when you were young.
Smiles.