Thursday, May 8, 2008

MY WHOLE WHEAT KICK IN THE 70s

Continued from Flower of the Family's blog comments. She mentioned my whole wheat kick I went on when she was a little girl. Well, I outgrew that shortly. The girls had some friends whose mother was forever on that kick. They milked their own goats, ground their own wheat, used honey instead of sugar, made their own cottage cheese, etc. My kids loved to go to their house because they could eat that good stuff, and her kids loved to come to our house because they could eat chips, cookies, and drink pop! Wonder which had the best advantage healthwise? Doing all that is hard work, especially when at least one in the family wants to live on mac and cheese and hamburger. Guess which one? Not me.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Well he does do most of his own cooking, so just buy the mac & cheese for Dad, and you get the good stuff.

Robin said...

I've been on my whole wheat kick for about 8 years now and think I'm staying. Not just whole wheat, but whole grains of all kinds - they take a bit longer to cook, but its worth it.

I mentioned somewhere sorry if it was here already - but my son cried when my husband tried to give him "white" waffles because he wanted the "brown" ones. I made white fluffy ones for my husband because he prefers them, but not the little guy.

Kay Day said...

the whole wheat was bad enough. But it was the blackstrap molasses we had to put on them that really got me.

Julie said...

Our kids call P.'s molassas poison. They say he is putting poison on his pancakes. So now we all just call it that. I used to telll them that I wouldn't ever poison them, well now I sometimes offer them "poison" at pancake suppers. hee,hee.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

I must agree with you Kay - I tried Blackstrap molasses too because its supposed to be good for you - all that iron and calcium and LACK of anything that tastes edible!!! I think I bought it three times and each time couldn't wait until it was gone. I think I'll stick with honey now... of course I'm not getting the calcium or iron, but ...

Momstheword said...

Well, to make a little correction, I buy 100% whole wheat bread. I just don't make my own anymore. Kay I think I might still have that jar of molasses up on the top shelf.