Monday, April 6, 2009

The Byways and the Highways

"I'm so tired...all my family and friends are gone and I'm all alone, I'm tired of being in constant pain. All I want to do is die and have some peace."

This statement can be heard in some variation any day at any nursing home in this country. Approximately 8% (my guess) of those over 65 years old are living in some type of institution, nursing home or health care center. For the majority of these people it will be their last address on this earth. Death and dying is a definite part of their daily existence; however, many welcome death as a release from the suffering and loneliness they are experiencing. Many believe that they deserve to go to Heaven because they are suffering, or simply because they are old. The thinking often is that "surely God wouldn't let me go to hell after all I've been through." There are those who have never heard the Gospel even though they have lived in this "Christian" nation for 80 years; there are those who have heard the Gospel most of their lives and have hardened their hearts; those who base their salvation on church membership, baptism, living a good life, even on being a member of a service club or secret society. They have all the same excuses any other segment of the populaation have, however, many have developed impairments which could hinder their ability to comprehend. Many have waited too long, many will not have that peace that they believe will come with dying.

1 comment:

Paula said...

It's very sad. I think just like Eve listened to the serpent in the garden and made up her own "religion," it's the nature of people today to do the same thing. "I've suffered so I deserve to go to Heaven." "I've been a good person, so I will go to Heaven." "A loving God wouldn't send people to hell." And on and on. Human kind is not very logical when making up a religion.