Thursday, February 26, 2009

Beware of .........

I worked for many years at a doctor’s office. The doctor loved history, artifacts, petrified wood, fossils, etc. I worked during off-hours sometimes as I was the transcriber and the quiet helped. One day as I was preparing to leave the office, someone knocked on the front door. I opened it, expecting it to be a patient. There were two young men standing there. They were dressed rather pecularly, in a manner commonly thought of as geek wear. Their pants seems a little too short and their waists a little too high, and, believe it or not, they had pen holders in their shirt pockets. I asked if I could help them and one of them replied that they had something that would be of interest to the doctor. They had heard about his interest in antiquities and such and wanted to show him what they had. I informed them that he was not in the office. They proceeded to unwrap an item and showed me a small metal looking thing that appeared to be a likeness of a griffin. For those who are not familiar with a griffin, it is a winged monster with an eagle like head and the body of a lion. The guys told me it was a genuine iron likeness which had been uncovered during the unearthing of an ancient city in the far east. I took hold of it and turned it around in my hands. It was heavy but it didn’t feel like iron to me. I tapped on it and decided it was ceramic and probably was not what they represented it to be. I handed it back and told them that the doctor wouldn’t be interested.

You know, it just goes to show you…. Beware of geeks bearing griffs!

2 comments:

Paula said...

I don't care what the others say...I thought it was funny. My kind of joke!

Ruthie said...

Interesting. You never know.
Smiles