Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Reality Check

Loopdeloops has been talking about being thankful.

This morning on the news, a heart broken grandmother was talking about her grandchild's disappearance some time ago. If you recall, the mother has been arrested for her murder. No body yet, but someone thinks there was decomposing smell from the trunk. So I'm listening to this woman and thinking, "Oh, dear God! She believes her granddaughter has been seen on a security tape in a mall. She believes the child is still alive. And her daughter is in jail." I felt so ashamed of myself.

Guess what I had been fussing about at the time? Which method of cooking to use for my sweet potatoes! Make them plain or make them sweet? Use pineapple, use oranges? Thanks for the kick in the head, Lord.....

7 comments:

Paula said...

Our lives are the only ones we have to live, and so we think about what we are doing. But we can also be concerned about others and their terrible problems. Someone I work with has started saying, "Everyone's got something," whenever someone else's problems are mentioned. She says that because she is having a hard time right now (her mother has cancer), but that doesn't mean we can't look outside ourselves and be concerned and loving toward others. I'm preaching to me (and my friend at work).

Robin said...

That is such a sad story - I would love it if they found the little girl alive...

Not to be too shallow after such a heavy topic, but I love sweet potatoes mashed with pecans and brown sugar on top - YUM YUM!

Danica Favorite said...

You know... it's good to have a balance. God does care about your sweet potatoes. Just like he cares about that poor woman's granddaughter. Pretty cool that we have such an amazing God with a capacity to care about both.

Momstheword said...

Thanks for the comments. By the way, I fixed the sweet potatoes in chunks with brown sugar and marshmallows and pecans. Who needs pie?

Robin said...

I so love sweet potatoes. I like sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans - yum :) And you are right if you have that who needs pie - unless of course its my Gramma's pie and I always have room for that :)

Robbie Iobst said...

I loved Danica's comment and I totally agree. As for sweet potatoes, when can I come over? Mmmm.

Julie said...

I remember Gail being concerned about you if you didn't feel well, even though you knew she felt worse.