Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Being Thankful for Little Things

A young woman I know was leaving one city to go to another where she had a close friend. Her no-good "boyfriend" dropped her off at the bus stop, threw her two bags out of the car, and took off, calling her a crude name. She had her ticket but was surprised to learn that the second bag would cost an extra $10.00. She had no money at all with her. She debated about leaving one bag behind but all of her worldly goods were in those two bags. She began to cry, she was so upset. The bus driver came over to her and asked her why she was crying. She explained the situation to him. This lovely man reached in his pocket and gave her a $20.00 bill. She tried to refuse, but he insisted. She took the money and paid for the extra baggage. She returned to the man and handed him the $10.00 bill. He refused to take it, saying that she might need some extra money. She asked how she could pay him back and he said, "Tell you what! If you ever see me again, you can pay me back. Otherwise, you can help someone else." This young woman needed that tremendously as her life has been a wreck for some time. It gave her hope again.

Isn't that an amazing story about unselfishness and kindness on the part of a stranger.

Which leads to this: I'd like to thank:

Those who hold a door for me, especially when it's a child.
Those who signal me to go in front of them.
Those who wave a thanks when I let them go first.
Those who wave at me when I drive by.

Not enough space to mention more "little things" that mean a lot. Care to join me?

2 comments:

Paula said...

Good post and good reminder. Q

Robin said...

I love that story - we should all follow the example...