Tuesday, October 14, 2008

OOPS! Recap of Trip Across Kansas

Somehow I accidentally deleted my blog about getting to Kansas and some subsequent happenings. I don't know how to find it, that is, if it is find-able.

Oh well! When we stopped at Pratt, we probably found the last motel room in town as there was a rodeo going on and there were lots of people in town. I found out I couldn't call from the room without a phone card so the manager brought her cell phone down to me. I managed to mess up and call someone named Steven. I gave her my daughter's phone number and she tried to call it. I didn't realized later, much later, that I was giving her the wrong area code. So she called my sister but the battery was low so she went back to the office to charge it and to call my sis. Then here she comes again to tell me that the phone in the room is off the hook and my sister couldn't get through. So, I called my sister (on the cell phone). I figured at least someone knew we had made it that far and were okay. For all this trouble, Rose took only one yellow squash and one tomato as her pay. We had taken some garden veggies to my Flower of the Family.Rose was very nice but I was somewhat embarrassed for being so much bother.


In the blog I deleted, mentioned two potential divorces and the phone card. I'll explain. I totally regretted not getting a phone card before leaving home or at least before getting a motel. After the first stay in Pratt where the wonderful desk lady went to so much trouble for us, you would have thought I’d have learned the lesson. NO. We went to our daughter’s house upon arriving in town, looked in the phone book and located a couple of motels. I decided a brand name motel would be better than an unknown one would so we went there. That’s the second one where the lady let me use her cell phone because I didn’t have a phone card, nor is there ever a pay phone nearby. I called and talked to my dear Son IL and I explained where we were as we planned on going out to dinner. He said, "Call us when you’re ready." And hung up. I wasn’t through with the conversation because I was going to tell him to head on over and we’d be ready. So, instead of asking that desk clerk f0r the use of her personal cell phone again, we opted to go down the strip and find a pay phone. We came to a QT, which I think means Quick Trip, where there was a pay phone and phone cards available. I used my change to call again and told my daughter where we were and that they could just meet us there as we were going to gas up anyway. I went inside and bought a phone card. We waited and waited and waited. I decided to call again and see if everything was okay, when they drove into the parking lot. My daughter cautioned us that things were cranky in their car. Well, I guess someone (my daughter) forgot to mention the cross street and P. thought it was the QT that was far away. We weren’t there so they went to the motel. I’m not sure but perhaps the lady directed them to the nearby QT. Anyway, they headed down there with P. wondering why in the world we went there and what logical reason was there for that (he’s one of those logical thinkers). Meanwhile my husband and I were both quite tired and cranky also, thus the two divorce thingy. However, we were hungry and eager to spend some time with the kids and the grandkids. Things were a little tense but after we followed them to Ryan’s (a wonderful steak and buffet), everyone was chilled out a little. Things went fine and we enjoyed our selves.
Now, guess who came back home with a brand new phone card?

7 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Funny! For me. I wasn't there but I know that cranky car feeling. :0) I love that you give out veggies as thank you gifts! Maybe I could do something for you sometime and get some of those home grown delights!

Robin said...

What an adventure...at least the cranky part is over - wouldn't it be nice to fast-forward through some of the rough spots, but then we wouldn't appreciate the good ones as much I guess...

I'm glad you were able to find friendly people who shared their cell phones :)

Kay Day said...

I'm glad I wasn't there. That would have put us over the crank limit.

Paula said...

My husband and I have had some of our worst fights in the car. And the very worst thing about it is that no one can leave. I'd say we may have bordered on touching the divorce thingy in the car a time or two also. Mostly, though, it's all wedded bliss!!!!

Julie said...

Yup, glad thats over. The cranky part. The visit part was great.

Robin said...

Have you heard of parking lot sanctification? It's a joke around my church - people who argue on the way to church and confess say that parking lot sanctification happens as soon as they hit the church lot...

Momstheword said...

Hey Robin! I think that happens at our church, too. Sometimes a person can tell as soon as a family walks in whether the morning was going well. :)