Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Peculiar Blessing

Our church choir performed at one of the local nursing homes last night. I was afraid it would be put off until too late, but it happened! The choir dressed in black skirts/pants and white tops. They looked very nice. I noticed most of them didn't mingle a whole lot with the residents. Some did and the pastor carried his grandson around and his little grandaughters wandered around among the people. I went around inviting people, though the staff did a wonderful job of getting the residents to the dining room. There was a lady I had never met. I tried to converse with her but I couldn't understand her. I asked a nurse about her and she apparently had invited her and the lady was going to come after she changed her dress. I found out the lady is blind and deaf, and doesn't have the use of her right hand. She can see shadows so can see signing if there is a bright light and a shadow. I placed her as close to the music as possible because they said she feels the vibrations. She was signing with her left hand, swaying to the music, and smiling her face off. Apparently she was feeling the vibrations and enjoying herself. I have no idea what she was signing but she certainly was pointing toward Heaven frequently and then pointing to her heart. What a blessing that was to all of us.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

There are so many that need love..I liked your story...it blesses me to think that woman was blessed.

Robin said...

How beautiful you are for sharing God's love with the folks in the nursing home. One of your blog entries challenged me and I'm asking myself why my kids and I aren't visiting the nursing home on a regular basis and showering the residents with God's love...Pray I take the steps God wants and HE leads me where HE wants me to be and gives me the wisdom I need in each situation. Thanks for you message and the love you share!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you still can get people to go to the nursing homes. Write that book to inspire my generation.J