Saturday, July 18, 2009

CAN WE RETIRE FROM GOD'S CALLING?

I am curious about something. When a pastor/preacher retires, does he retire only from pastoring or does he retire also from preaching? We have several retired pastors in our church but there are only about three that will preach at the nursing home services. Why is it that a man can stand up in front of a group of seniors in a classroom but can't stand up in front of a group of seniors in a nursing home? I am constantly being told that it takes a "special gift" to minister in a nursing home. I don't buy that entirely. I believe God burdens certain ones for that ministry, but isn't a pastor/preacher suppose to minister from the cradle to the grave? Please explain this to me. In case you didn't get it, I will be "preaching" at a nursing home tomorrow morning because no one else will. My sister will help me gather people for the service. I let them sing a lot and then do a quick "devotional". I pray with them and tell them that I love them. I guess that's all they need. I just needed to vent a little. But let me know what you think about the retirement issue.

10 comments:

Tommy McGuire said...

So are these preachers saying that God gives a special gift of preaching at nursing homes? Seems rather ridiculous to me. Do you think I could convince people that I could only preach in Hawaii?

Ask them what the difference is between preaching for a salary and the praise of your peers and preaching in a nursing home where some folks might not even know that you are there. I'd love to be there when you ask!

Robin said...

Ouch - Tom hit the nail on the head...

I think if you are called you are called end of story - paycheck shouldn't matter - praise of peers shouldn't matter...

Hi Moms wanted to stop in and say hello - I've been so busy that I haven't blogged much.

Glad to see you are still blogging - seems many of us have slowed down.

Julie said...

Just tell them that they better preach at the nursing home or you will tie them to your fender and drive in Denver. ha,ha!

Momstheword said...

No Julie, that's bumper!

Paula said...

I'm not sure I really believe in a "calling" as much as I believe in a Christian needing to do God's will regularly. For a few years a pastor may need to preach. For the next few years he may need to write a book. The next year he may need to minister to his family's needs. I think we should do a thing as long as we're supposed to, and then we should do the next thing. God gives opportunities--some last 20 years, some last a year.

Paula said...

That's not to say that a former preacher should not preach in a nursing home. If he is capable and the opportunity is there, he should preach. Unless he's not willing, and then it won't work very well.

Momstheword said...

Q, I do think you are right about the timing of the things God wants us to do, and that we are all to do God's moral will. But I have run into retired pastors who don't want to do anything except be in the pulpit. Then I say, why do they retire? We have one man who won't even ask the blessing on the offering. I recall that years ago pastors did not retire, they just died. Recall how Mr. Hamilton did whatever he could even tho he wasn't the main pastor. Lonnie James also.

Paula said...

Wouldn't it be a good thing if a retired pastor said, "I'll clean the church and watch the babies in the nursery"? What a great example. I think sometimes, though, that full-time workers get worn down and then they don't want to do anything--they are tired and burnt out. Ministry is hard work sometimes. And wonderful sometimes.

Danny Wright said...

Can we imagine Paul retiring? His prayer in Ephesians 6, "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.", I think, gives some insight into a preacher's heart.

Card Counting Books said...

I think it already was discussed.