Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Visiting in a nursing home

Well, I'm using a library computer. It should be only a couple of days until I get my home computer set up and hopefully it will actually let me use it. Robin expressed interest in taking her children to visit in a nursing home. I told her to take the kids and walk around in a public area until a resident shows interest in the children. Then she can introduce herself and voila! she now has a friend to visit. If someone asks her if they can help her find someone in particular, just say, "I want my kids to know what a nursing home is." Likely you will be shown around and even introduced to a resident or two. The problem with becoming a documented volunteer of the facility has gotten pretty complicated since HIPAA regulations have been introduced. Some nursing homes require a background check, drug test, hepatitis series and TB test. I haven't been able to find the section in the regs that inspired these requirements. In fact, I haven't found much information at all about nursing homes. I think some of the admins have overreacted in some ways. I understand why they don't want people just coming in off the streets and wandering around in and out of rooms, etc., however, I think decent people will be offended and put off by those requirements. If interested in being a facility volunteer, check with the Activities Director first. If you're interested in volunteering as a member of your church, approach your pastor first. After all, you will be representing the church and he needs to know what you plan to do. A full-fledged ministry through your church needs to be the burden of the person who is willing to do it. It works better than when a pastor stands up and announces that "we're starting a nursing home ministry and we need people to do it." It should either be his burden to do it, or that of someone who can be faithful to it. Believe me, I know. This is just my opinion, of course.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Thanks for the info! I did speak with my Pastor and I think he's too overwhelmed at the moment to take on something else. But maybe something will work out. I did find out that a couple people from my church go to a retirement center once a week to visit and I'm going to find out if my kids and I can tag along sometime.

Also I took a flier to volunteer for Hospice. I spoke with the volunteer coordinator and I have to do a training before I can help. She is brand new and working on finding a date that will work for the most potential volunteers. There is also volunteer work in nursing homes doing crafts and such that unfortunately my kids can't go along and do because they have to be 18 years old. So keep me in your prayers as I find the place of service for myself and my kids.

Also, a special prayer request for a young boy at my church is posted at my actions speak loudest blog. He is having brain surgery on Friday. Please join us in prayer!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Glad fo read you again!
I wonder if you have to jump the hoops to take a pet like a dog into a nursing home? You probably have to therapy training. That would be a good way to talk to people, with a pet.

Robin said...

Pray for me - I'm set up for Hospice Volunteer Training on Monday. The coordinator told me there are things I can do in the nursing home in town also (but can't bring my kids). I think opportunities could arrise as time goes by though. Pray God's will for me and my family! Pray that our eyes and ears are open to the heart of God! Thanks!